Site News

Forum to discuss TSA news items. Only TrueSteamAchievement can post here

"Spam" Achievement Games Now Have A Capped Score On TrueSteam

• MilouzeMilouze240,231
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 17:53
    It was about time. Thank you !
  • missiloonmissiloon420,241
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:08, Edited on 22 March 18 at 18:11 by missiloon
    This feel a lot more fair to gamers who doesn't play those achievementspam games. (I did play them if they came in a bundle).

How to report achievement spam games who hasn't changed yet? (In this case Scary House).

I hope to see solutions for broken achievements next :D
  • lylatlylat1,924,493
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:22
    Great news!
  • SellymeSellyme1,060,460
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:29
    Some spam games that haven't been capped yet:

Space Mining
    A Little Rabbit Story
    Scary House
    Need For Gowna
    RUSSIA HORROR 20!8
    Trio
    Stickman Wars
    NeoBoom
    PLAYERUNKN1WN: Friendly Fire
    SPACE ASTEROID SHOOTER : RETRO ACHIEVEMENT HUNTER
    Knights Hunt
    Co-Co CORN MAFIA
    Edges 2
    KILL THE EMOJI
    Consummate:Missing World

A lot of these are likely because of broken achievements resulting in it not tripping any algorithmic process, although a few are because the spam is just so genuinely bad that very few people ever complete it.
  • transyotransyo23,880
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:36
    RIP my TSA Score crylaugh

Thanks for the great work guys! Makes the site a lot fairer.
    Seán
  • PurePure433,364
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:43
    Great news. I'd played a few admittedly but seeing 7million+ scores, it started to get ridiculous and there's now 2-3 a day releasing. Bordering on silly at this point.
  • Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:43
    Sellyme said:
    Some spam games that haven't been capped yet:

Space Mining
    A Little Rabbit Story
    Scary House
    Need For Gowna
    RUSSIA HORROR 20!8
    Trio
    Stickman Wars
    NeoBoom
    PLAYERUNKN1WN: Friendly Fire
    SPACE ASTEROID SHOOTER : RETRO ACHIEVEMENT HUNTER
    Knights Hunt
    Co-Co CORN MAFIA
    Edges 2
    KILL THE EMOJI
    Consummate:Missing World

A lot of these are likely because of broken achievements resulting in it not tripping any algorithmic process, although a few are because the spam is just so genuinely bad that very few people ever complete it.
    Thank you, well gp through these tomorrow
  • private_pileprivate_pile930,561
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:50
    Thanks for making this change. I am a little curious about where the line will ultimately be drawn for spam games, but I'm glad something is being done about it.
  • XeinokXeinok788,432
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:51
    There are certain games with extremely overly-granular achievements that the community seems a bit split on labeling "spam" or not since they take a tiny bit more effort than just idling - especially the Logistical series, but also the game Minimalism (the game Disoriented was the same, but the dev removed the extraneous spam achievements in an update, after negative feedback). Not sure how you guys want to cap these on TSA.
  • TrinsecTrinsec210,365
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 18:59
    Ahhh, we're going to see some TRUESteamAchievements soon. ;)
  • Posted on 22 March 18 at 19:21
    Have all the "Achievement Hunter: _____" games been included yet? Those are some of the worst offenders.
  • yobokkieyobokkie568,048
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 19:24
    Thanks a lot, this will certainly do a lot to balance the leader board and make position on the leaderboard feel like a better reflection of playing effort.
  • MacnexMacnex663,274
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 19:51
    Nicely done!
  • thirtysmooththirtysmooth362,958
  • SellymeSellyme1,060,460
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 20:15
    Xeinok said:
    Minimalism
    Looking at the games list it seems that only games with >200 achievements were considered, so Minimalism wouldn't be included either way (it has 165). Stuff like sWORD MASTER would be, though.

For what it's worth (@TSA Staff, here) I specifically excluded games from my list where each achievement had its own unlock condition rather than several or even dozens/hundreds for the same action. From a cursory glance at the list of capped games that seems consistent with the existing criteria.
  • Posted on 22 March 18 at 21:47
    What are the definitions behind "spam games" out of interest? As in, what criteria is used?
  • tintmylftintmylf223,717
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 22:08
    Out of curiosity, why 200? Is this based on some rough average of 20 achievements per game (I'd have guessed that non-achievement spam games have a higher average than that) or an average of 200 TSA points per game or something like that? Just wondering where that number came from.
  • XeinokXeinok788,432
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 22:34
    Tried whatever I could last year to bring attention to the issue, but we all know how Valve prefers to handle things... https://steamed.kotaku.com/achievement-spam-games-are-causin... Feel free to get in contact with me or other 100Pals Staff if you have more ideas for getting devs to stop releasing spam games.
  • AlgrethAlgreth256,211
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 23:12, Edited on 22 March 18 at 23:13 by Algreth
    LOGistICAL has not been added to the spam list yet.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads