Site News

Forum to discuss TSA news items. Only TrueSteamAchievement can post here

"Spam" Achievement Games Now Have A Capped Score On TrueSteam

• CAPP360CAPP36068,918
    Posted on 22 March 18 at 23:49
    Excellent!!!
  • Posted on 23 March 18 at 02:21
    A few things:

The Logistical series is arguably not a spam game because of the specific unlock criteria for each achievement, despite the high number of achievements. These games and DLC can take hundreds of hours to complete. The Russia version is also a significant departure from this in that there are thousands of tasks that are completed without achievement in part because of the massive size of the country and the Steam cap on number of achievements. I suspect the upcoming Earth version of the game will be similar.

PayDay 2 has a high number of achievements too, and alot of the recent ones are "filler" for having previously completed missions at the higher challenge levels, in particular. It is likewise not a spam game. Tales of Maj'Eyal has likewise a high number of achievements but specific unlock criteria and long playing times (in fact only a select few have ever finished it!). It is likewise not a spam game. I think the logic applied so far makes sense in terms of what constitutes a spam game is a good start and with diligence by the TrueSteam team and the strong community will continually improve it.

Now, as one of many people who bought alot of these spam games, and one who stopped doing so this past month (and kudos to those who never got caught up in the spiral or left earlier than I did), I applaud this. I don't enjoy these games, but like most of the people with high scores pre-cap I felt almost compelled to keep buying these trash games to keep up with the others. I think this site adding caps closes the loop on the major achievement tracking sites capping these high achievement no effort games, and could help accelerate their demise or at least fall out of favor.

Thanks!
  • TheShazbotTheShazbot572,816
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 02:25
    I'm glad this has finally been resolved.

I'm going to second that Logistical isn't spam, it might seem "easy" and have a ton of achievements, but you still have to play it, and it takes a while.
  • UzzbuzzUzzbuzz368,301
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 02:33
    This is a change that I'm glad to see smile While it didn't really affect me, it was pretty unfair to those who wanted to get on the leaderboard without buying hundreds of $1 achievement freebies.
  • DlxTxDlxTx312,976
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 02:43
    I for one welcome this change. I like to feel good about having a big score and I like to have a respectable completion percentage but I have always refused to play these spam games because I have some gosh darned self respect.

I've sank low for a dumb achievement; I even left the Stanley Parable running all day for that one that requires 24 hours of consistent playtime, but I would never sink so low as a game with 10K easy no effort pops. No shower in the world could wash that off.

It's sort of like a cheat code. I've been gaming for years and have a respectable ~115K TSA score. I could have played like one of these damn games and doubled it. It would have rendered all my hard work in tricky and/or time-consuming games like Endless Space, One Finger Death Punch, or Rabi-Ribi just a drop in the bucket.

TSA scores (and video games in general) are kind of pointless, but I like playing games and tracking my score because it's a fun hobby. But inflating a score with meaningless spam achievements is like playing PAC-MAN with god mode enabled... not only are you wasting your time, you're REALLY not getting anything meaningful out of it!

Anyway, keep up the good work, devs. You're on a roll this week. First you booted that cheater who completely wrecked my top score in Magical Battle Festa by 100%ing it and every other game with SAM, and now this.

While the point values for MBF still seem broken, at least that dude is gone.
    Workin' for the man.
  • DreamDream29,949
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 03:41
    Perfect clap
  • AnotherWayAnotherWay92,843
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 06:37, Edited on 23 March 18 at 06:51 by AnotherWay
    Daaaamn boy... But u know what ? U guys rock. I love this honestly and justice wink
    Even though it lowered me from ~ 700k to 67k. But better than 67 - but without the race for achiv spam, which I did not want, but had to climb. You are just great, a real Respect for it.
    It is a pity that Steam does not limit the number of achievements and does not ban such games
    I wanted for a long time that this would equalize the chances of everyone and you did it.
    TAS really does its work for all 101%. Applauding clap
    That's what i call TRUE Steam Achievements compute
  • SellymeSellyme1,060,858
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 06:51, Edited on 23 March 18 at 06:52 by Sellyme
    AnotherWay said:
    It is a pity that Steam does not limit the number of achievements
    It does, the maximum number of achievements that can be associated with an appid was restricted to 5,000 last year after several spam games started having more than 10,000 each.
  • TheStrangerTheStranger2,896,824
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 07:26
    Please include all Logistical games as Spam. smile
  • AnotherWayAnotherWay92,843
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 07:27
    Sellyme said:
    AnotherWay said:
    It is a pity that Steam does not limit the number of achievements
    It does, the maximum number of achievements that can be associated with an appid was restricted to 5,000 last year after several spam games started having more than 10,000 each.
    I mean.. 5000 - it's still a huge number, someone remembers the time when 1000 in the incentive was considered something incredible? (it seems then Zup appeared) ..
    If you look at the achievements in console games - now the same trophies are rarely about 100 (or more) on the Playstation or if you look at the same Xbox (where the notion of achievements came from) - there is a record from the Killer Instinct / Halo Collection - 464/600. And this is a rare exception to the rules. I would prefer if the number of achievements was not more than 500, but all of them would be interesting (not necessarily complex) for completion.
    So 5000 is still a crazy number. I would prefer quality> quantity, despite the fact that I also had to buy achiev scam games in my time because the others did as well, and I had a goal (and a dispute) to get into a certain Top. But now I would like to take good games which have a very diverse set of achievements that reveals the game to the maximum. Just thinking out loud.

P.S. Site Leaderbords Stats still show the old numbers, it's worth fixing, i think)
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 07:40, Edited on 23 March 18 at 07:41 by Sellyme
    AnotherWay said:
    I mean.. 5000 - it's still a huge number, someone remembers the time when 1000 in the incentive was considered something incredible?
    It's still a huge number, but two non-spam apps have 5,000+ achievements (although I guess if there wasn't a cap it'd only be one), and you've got games like Zacc, ToME, PPU, and Dofus all up above four digits. If they made the cap any more restrictive then it'd start hitting far more non-spam games. Really, the better option is to just be more restrictive on what can actually make it onto the store in the first place, but we all know how terrified Valve is of rejecting a game that would make them an extra $10.

I would prefer if the number of achievements was not more than 500, but all of them would be interesting (not necessarily complex) for completion.
    Given that Valve themselves have published games with over 500 achievements, this was never going to happen.

P.S. Site Leaderbords Stats still show the old numbers, it's worth fixing, i think)
    I'm fairly sure the leaderboards only update once every 24 hours, so they should start correcting automatically. Will be a few days before they're accurate, though - not all accounts have had their scores updated yet.
  • Posted on 23 March 18 at 09:10
    Good.
  • AbueloAbuelo98,801
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 09:58
    Very good. The existence of these games rendered the spirit of the site pointless. I actually had my account deleted before coming back a few months ago because I though there was no point in being involved if these games were being counted.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 18 at 11:13, Edited on 23 March 18 at 11:14 by
    Thanks for the comprehensive list of "achievement spam" games, I will make sure to buy everyone one of them, to up the achievement counter on my steam profile.
  • Posted on 23 March 18 at 11:22
    I for one lost quite a few points because of this, but I'm still happy about it, as I think is more fair for all. Thanks!
  • missiloonmissiloon418,063
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 12:01
    if logistical will not be added to the spam achievement list, wouldn't that be unfair to those who played Zup! ? You have to play the game as well.. sounds to me like the same excuse.
  • thirtysmooththirtysmooth362,681
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 12:17
    missiloon said:
    if logistical will not be added to the spam achievement list, wouldn't that be unfair to those who played Zup! ? You have to play the game as well.. sounds to me like the same excuse.
    ...and the average time taken to unlock each achievement.
    The difference between these two games is that you can unlock multiple achievements in Zup! in a matter of minutes, where the achievements in Logistical take hours upon hours. The completion time difference between the two is huge.
  • Posted on 23 March 18 at 12:34
    I kinda got this movement going
  • Posted on 23 March 18 at 12:54
    Sellyme said:
    Xeinok said:
    Minimalism
    Looking at the games list it seems that only games with >200 achievements were considered, so Minimalism wouldn't be included either way (it has 165). Stuff like sWORD MASTER would be, though.

For what it's worth (@TSA Staff, here) I specifically excluded games from my list where each achievement had its own unlock condition rather than several or even dozens/hundreds for the same action. From a cursory glance at the list of capped games that seems consistent with the existing criteria.
    No, 200 is not the limit on achievements - we set it at 80.

Number of achievements is a big factor in the spam score calculation though - we consider it far more likely that a game that has 5000 achievements is a spam game compared to a game with 100.

The average unlock time per achievement is also a massive factor, as well as the game's completion percentage.

As stated previously, the algorithm is likely to be tweaked over the coming days and weeks.

It won't be perfect, but we prefer an automated system than having a subjective system (we've also picked up quite a few spam games that haven't been flagged as such by the Steam spam forum).
    Posted on 23 March 18 at 14:14, Edited on 23 March 18 at 14:15 by Sellyme
    TrueSteam said:
    No, 200 is not the limit on achievements - we set it at 80.
    In that case, these are some other spam games (arguably) in the 80-200 range that didn't get picked up by the algorithm:

Abstractism
    Chocolate makes you happy 4
    Cube Way
    Cube Way 2
    Bitcoin Collector
    PHAT STACKS
    Outrunner
    Dots
    Boy Next Door

Some of these are a bit dicey, especially in comparison to the other list I posted. For example, Cube Way gives two achievements per level, but that's nowhere near the spamminess of a 5k idle game. Just listing them so that they're known, and that the algorithm is giving intended results.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads