The Debating Chamber

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

Games with thousand of achievements

• MortyMorty236,544
    Posted on 03 April 17 at 20:51
    Am I the only being troubled by this? Those games are clearly made for abusing the achievement system. I really don't have any idea on how to deal with them, but I'd like to know what you think of it.
  • ratchetratchet83,016
    Posted on 04 April 17 at 14:53
    I feel like game like this are overwhelming for achievement hunters when you first pick them up because you just don't know where to begin.

I honestly don't see the need of thousands of achievements in games.
  • MortyMorty236,544
    Posted on 06 April 17 at 08:37
    I'm not even considering them from an achievement hunter point of view. Some of them even reward you one achievement per click or so... Meaning 1,000 achivements in one night if you will.
  • VeilorVeilor53,749
  • NomstuffNomstuff67,686
    Posted on 02 May 17 at 14:21, Edited on 02 May 17 at 14:21 by Nomstuff
    There's not a lot we can do about them really. Although I agree that it's abuse of the system.
  • Posted on 23 May 17 at 15:42
    Hi guys

I've just logged back in after a long absence to start a thread about this, glad to see there is already one!

I've just been gifted "Running Through Russia" last night, bit of a gag present from a friend due to the amount of achievements in it and our friendly rivalry between hunting achievements.

I didn't realise games with huge numbers of achievements were a thing until a couple of days ago, I see that most of them are just variations of A B C 1 2 3 artworks as well.

I'm guessing this has all stemmed from games like Lyne, a very well received puzzle game with 33 achievements including all the letters of the alphabet.

There is also Zup! and it's sequels with achievements per game going into the thousands. The games are there basically to provide a way to customise your achievement showcase page on your profile. I suppose they have merit by doing that, it certainly makes the profile page look more interesting if you can add a word.

However, it does completely scupper your 'legitimate' number of achievements you've won when you easily unlock thousands of achievements. What affect it will have on your completion ratio I don't know (not sure if that's calculated per % of achievements earned or by game completion).

Do they serve a purpose with the additional artwork and options for customisation or do the undermine the whole purpose of achievements and the associated interest around it?

I really can't decide what I think about them!
  • GiancarloGiancarlo263,548
    Posted on 08 August 17 at 11:29, Edited on 08 August 17 at 11:40 by Giancarlo
    I've been seeing the rise of those achievement mills and my opinion is that many of those games would sell way less if it wasn't for the hundreds of cheap and easy achievements. If someone wants to bloat his/her account with cheap zero effort cheevs that's their business, but the problem is when the flood of zero effort achievements being awarded 10 points each is counted against the actual achievements in the charts altering the scores.

Compare The Quest for Achievements to Payday 2: the first one will give you more than 11k points in a very short time, while on the other hand Payday 2 with all its DLCs will take several hundred hours to give you around 6k points.

The Quest for Achievements Achievements (one thousand achievements in a couple of hours - 11k points)

PAYDAY 2 Ultimate Edition Achievements (around 600 achievements in several hundred hours - 6k points)

But besides that, check the score and effort for single achievements:
    PAYDAY 2Short FuseThe Short Fuse achievement in PAYDAY 2 worth 34 pointsOn day 3 of the Rats job, get away with 7 bags without defusing any bombs.

requires the combined effort of 4 players to be done

Alan WakeNo PunctuationThe No Punctuation achievement in Alan Wake worth 33 pointsSpecial 2: Complete the episode without reloading the game or restarting a checkpoint.

requires learning the enemy positioning, the timing for some jumps (and multiple attempts)

Alan WakeAlan, Wake UpThe Alan, Wake Up achievement in Alan Wake worth 31 pointsComplete the game on Nightmare difficulty.

does it need an explanation?

They are not easy, yet each one of those will net around 30 points on the scoring system, while a zero effort achievement will net a third of that, by doing nothing.

The Quest for AchievementsAnd the hunt beginsThe And the hunt begins achievement in The Quest for Achievements worth 0 pointsFound your first achievement!

The scoring system is flawed, and I believe should be adjusted to avoid such abuses if it wants to keep some fairness and avoid catering to the "game developers" who abuse the system.

EDIT: Just found this other one
    Sisters in hotel Achievements (7k+ achievements in 6 hours - 75k points!)
    Really? shock WTF!
  • missiloonmissiloon420,314
    Posted on 27 December 17 at 15:35
    I agree with this topic. I buy a lot of bundles and got a few off those achievement hunter games that way. I like to complete my collection as much as possible. I've completed them those last few days but it feels bad to get so many points and got so many higher on the ranking of this website after completing those.

They kinda make the ranking system useless. I prefer the way how astats has made those games a fixed amount of points, and not that much higher as other games. I also prefer the xbox system where a game can not have more than 1000 points.

It doesn't fix the problem with that you get achievements for doing nothing, but I don't think a website like tsa can fix that... what is in there possabilities of fixing is the amount of points it gives.
  • AestromAestrom289,224
    Posted on 24 August 22 at 23:58
    I agree with all the old comment on this topic .. 2017 ...waw so long .
    i think its abuse of achievements system when i see members on better position in the top list of ahievement hunter , when im choose only hard games who need long time of try . what is the point of view from the team who make this achievement site alive ( congrats for your job its very cool ) , do you think its "normal" to have gamer with 200000 achievements in 20 games and be in the top 500 ? i hope you answer me and i apologize for my english ... im french ^^
  • Posted on 25 August 22 at 09:41
    Well, this thread describes exactly why Rich came up with TA/TT/TSA

The way we calculate TSA Score for an achievement keep in mind how 'difficult' the achievement is. On Xbox, you can get 50 points for an achievement to just start the game, and in another game you can get 50 points for an achievement that requires you to complete the game on insane difficulty.

Both are worth 50 points on the Xbox side, but on TA, the latter one is worth much more TA score then the first one.

For TSA specific, each achievement is worth 10 'normal' points. But for 'spam games', each achievement is worth 0.1 'normal' points.

By looking at how many people play the game, and how many people unlocked a specific achievement, we calculate the ratio for that achievement. Your final TSA points are the 'normal' points, multiplied by the ratio.

So, if I play a 'spam game' with 10.000 achievements that are worth 0.1 points against a ratio of 1.0, then my TSA score for that game would be 1000.

Now, if I play a REAL game, with 20 achievements, the game is worth 2000 points already. But if the ratio is 2.6, the game is already worth 5200 points.

So the easy, spam games are worth much less than a real game. Therefore; always look at ones TSA score. And not the number of achievements and/or games they completed.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads