Three years ago, Turtle Rock Studios' multiplayer FPS Evolve
was released. Unfortunately, the game never got the player population that was needed to sustain its life. In July 2016, the developer launched a last ditch attempt to keep the game alive by changing the game to the free-to-play Evolve Stage 2
. Just three months later, that plan had failed and support was withdrawn from the game. Now things get a bit worse. In September, the game's dedicated servers will close, meaning Stage 2
will be discontinued and the game will transition back to Legacy Evolve
with peer-to-peer multiplayer.
If you have already purchased Evolve
at retail, you will still have access to the game on Steam after the server closure date. There will no longer be a free-to-play version available. Qualifying players will be able to access what will be known as Legacy Evolve
through the beta branch of Evolve Stage 2
. 2K has provided step by step instructions for doing this:
- Right-click Evolve in Steam and select “Properties”
- Go to the "Betas" tab
- In the dropdown, select "legacyevolve - The Original Evolve Product"
- Click "Close"
- Wait for the game to download the differences
- Enjoy Legacy Evolve
Even if you can access the game after the server closure, some of the game's features will still be removed. Hunt (Ranked) mode will be removed, as will player profiles, leaderboards, and the in-game store. A full list of features that will remain available, and those that will be removed, is below.
What features will still be functional in Legacy Evolve?Multiplayer
- Peer-to-peer multiplayer: Players will be able to team up and play against each other through peer-to-peer matchmaking. Players are also able to use the party-up feature to create games.
- Quick Play
- Custom games
- Single Player (solo vs. AI) –
- Quick Play
- Custom games
- My2K login access
- Access to all hunters, monsters, purchased DLC, skins & player badges
What features are going away?
- Hunt (Ranked)
- Players will still be able to play Hunt by going into Quick play and Custom games
- Player Profile data
- Leaderboards will no longer be populated with player data
- The in-game store will be removed
- The newsfeed will be unavailable
- Player Badges will be unavailable
It's a bit uncertain which of the game's achievements will be affected by these server closures. Depending on which bit of the list you believe, player badges may or may not be available. Challenges, rank, and elite status are linked to player profiles, so those achievements may also be affected. The list of potentially affected achievements is below.
The The Monster achievement in Evolve worth 54 pointsReach Elite status for a Monster The The Hunter achievement in Evolve worth 29 pointsReach Elite status for a Hunter
In regards to other content, all of the Hunters, Monsters, and skins that players have purchased will still be accessible after the servers have closed. However, any premium currency that you've purchased, such as Gold and Silver Keys, can only be used until the servers are closed. On July 2nd, all virtual currency bundles will be removed from the store preventing players from purchasing any more premium currency past that point.
The dedicated servers will close on September 3rd, so make sure you've purchased all of the content you want before that date. I'd also make sure to have all of the above achievements, just in case.