The Debating Chamber Forum

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

Origin Access

AuthorMessage
Chakaalstarr
969 TrueSteamAchievement Points3 posts
Last post: 16 Jan at 19:43
Posted on 15 January 16 at 05:07
Not exactly sure where the best place for this was, as isn't Steam but it is related to PC gaming and this was the only off topic feed I noticed. There isn't a trueoriginachievements site is there?

I saw that EA is offering Origin Access now on their Origin Service and is very similar to EA access except that the vault will offer third party games down the line in addition to EA titles.

It looks like vault is starting with 15 titles and they are charging 5 a month. I didn't notice a yearly option like they have on EA Access on xb1. Seems to have the early access feature as well as the 10% discount on purchases as well.

Anyway, thought it might interest some pc gamers, you can always google it or go to origin and click an ad to read more about it.
JMJimmy
16,478
JMJimmy
TrueSteamAchievement Ratio: 1.6798Achievement Completion Percentage: 38.56% (Includes owned DLC) - 12 more achievements required to reach 39%277 posts
Last post: 25 Nov at 18:27
Posted on 15 January 16 at 07:02
EA may retire Origin Access and/or online digital content services after 30 days’ noticeAfter your subscription period ends, you will not have further access to membership benefits, including Vault titles, game upgrades, or in-game purchases made in a Vault title unless you separately have access to that Vault titleIt's a bit concerning that you could buy DLC/in game content but lose access to it unless you buy the game anyway? On a basic level it makes sense but the concern is that they decide to shutdown the access program after you've spent $$$ in rental fees and $$$ in in-game content only for you to have to rebuy what you've been paying for all along... dunno, maybe I'm just too leery of EA, maybe I just like 'owning' things. I could see this working on consoles for the casual gamer but not PC.
Life, it's funny that way.
Veilor
31,045
Veilor
TrueSteamAchievements Game Info Manager83 comments640 posts
Last post: 27 Nov at 16:19
Posted on 15 January 16 at 10:24
JMJimmy said:It's a bit concerning that you could buy DLC/in game content but lose access to it unless you buy the game anyway? On a basic level it makes sense but the concern is that they decide to shutdown the access program after you've spent $$$ in rental fees and $$$ in in-game content only for you to have to rebuy what you've been paying for all along... dunno, maybe I'm just too leery of EA, maybe I just like 'owning' things. I could see this working on consoles for the casual gamer but not PC.Think of it as netflix for PC gamers. I know I myself have wanted this since the rumour got out that EA would be attempting this. There's still older games I have yet to play and this makes it so I can play them.

Just waiting for my country to get it
JMJimmy
16,478
JMJimmy
TrueSteamAchievement Ratio: 1.6798Achievement Completion Percentage: 38.56% (Includes owned DLC) - 12 more achievements required to reach 39%277 posts
Last post: 25 Nov at 18:27
Posted on 15 January 16 at 13:33, Edited on 15 January 16 at 13:33 by JMJimmy
Veilor said:Think of it as netflix for PC gamers. I know I myself have wanted this since the rumour got out that EA would be attempting this. There's still older games I have yet to play and this makes it so I can play them.

Just waiting for my country to get it
I'm trying to... would you pay extra to buy the individual special features on a Netflix movie or 'special bonus episodes' of a TV series knowing that you'd lose access to those purchases if you ever cancelled Netflix? Not sure I would.
Life, it's funny that way.
Veilor
31,045
Veilor
TrueSteamAchievements Game Info Manager83 comments640 posts
Last post: 27 Nov at 16:19
Posted on 15 January 16 at 13:37
I don't really care about the DLC, so it's not an issue for me. But I can see the issue for others.
Spilner
2,214
Spilner
Registered on 20 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)8 completed games(Includes owned DLC)295 posts
Last post: 11 May at 00:22
Posted on 15 January 16 at 14:34
Origin has achievements?
Its that guy from the thing in the place.
Veilor
31,045
Veilor
TrueSteamAchievements Game Info Manager83 comments640 posts
Last post: 27 Nov at 16:19
Posted on 15 January 16 at 15:08, Edited on 15 January 16 at 15:11 by Veilor
Spilner said:Origin has achievements?It has. I think it started with Battlefield 3 and from there every game made by EA & released on consoles also has achievements.
http://i.imgur.com/yRpDc8u.png (not my profile)
Bobbitto
22,743
Bobbitto
Registered on 19 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)TrueSteamAchievement Site Rank: 2,993 out of 10,11615 posts
Last post: 09 Feb at 23:30
Posted on 15 January 16 at 17:01
The problem is I own every game that is offered with this service that I had any interest in playing headspin

Maybe down the line they'll add some that interests me. Or perhaps I'll sub for the the Mass Effect: Andromeda trial. But until then I'm not going to subscribe.
JosPlays
42,098
JosPlays
Registered on 19 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)17 completed games(Includes owned DLC)3 posts
Last post: 15 Jan at 19:00
Posted on 15 January 16 at 19:00
Would be nice if they add Star Wars Battlefront next year or so. But at this moment i'm not really interested. A Steam Access subscription would have been fun years ago (when I started with Steam).
MysticalShadow86
Achievement Completion Percentage: 28.82% (Includes owned DLC) - 13 more achievements required to reach 29%129 posts
Last post: 13 Oct at 13:53
Posted on 16 January 16 at 18:25
Veilor said: gamer=Spilner]Origin has achievements?Indeed a few games have profile achievements such as Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Inquisition. Dragon Age Origins has achievements but they only unlock in game and don't show anywhere else. Though most Origin games don't and there for it wouldn't warrant a TOA.
Chakaalstarr
969 TrueSteamAchievement Points3 posts
Last post: 16 Jan at 19:43
Posted on 16 January 16 at 19:43
JMJimmy said:EA may retire Origin Access and/or online digital content services after 30 days’ noticeAfter your subscription period ends, you will not have further access to membership benefits, including Vault titles, game upgrades, or in-game purchases made in a Vault title unless you separately have access to that Vault titleIt's a bit concerning that you could buy DLC/in game content but lose access to it unless you buy the game anyway? On a basic level it makes sense but the concern is that they decide to shutdown the access program after you've spent $$$ in rental fees and $$$ in in-game content only for you to have to rebuy what you've been paying for all along... dunno, maybe I'm just too leery of EA, maybe I just like 'owning' things. I could see this working on consoles for the casual gamer but not PC.I don't see it as being that big of a deal. It would be similar to if you bought dlc for a game you got from gamefly, rented somewhere else, borrowed from a friend or signed out from a public library, or even traded in. Even if they discontinued Origin Access, you would own the dlc for whenever you did buy the game down the line or resubbed later on.

If you get into the game enough that you are buying dlc, you can always buy it with the discount, wait for a sale, or even hope it becomes one of those free titles they do once in a while, or a humble bundle.

I would assume this program will do well since it spread from being on xbox, but the audience wouldn't necessarily just be casuals. You could benefit from this without ever touching the vault if you buy games or dlc regularly due to discount on digital purchases.(and you own purchases, so whether the program continued or not doesn't matter).

Adjust for your country, but Battlefront for me is listed at 79 bucks, 159 for the mega special edition. 10% off is 7.99 or 15.99 depending on the version. Since the subscription is $5 a month, I am ahead. If I buy mass effect, mirrors edge, titanfall 2. whatever the newest sims is, dlc's etc, you could see how that might benefit me.

I am currently subbing to the xb1 version and own most of the vault games, I see the vault as just being a bonus tbh.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.