Investigations Questions Forum

Question for the Investigations Team? Please remember to keep posts civil, abusive posts can result in loss of posting privileges. Posts in this forum can be read by anyone on the site. Please do not attempt to hijack a thread by posting information not relevant to the original post, start a new thread instead.

Command line options

56,662 TrueSteamAchievement Points21 posts
Last post: 06 Mar at 16:59
Posted on 14 January 16 at 22:45
I was curious how the rules governed command-line options, so I wanted to run this by the IM before I try it.

I'm about to start the campaigns for Doom 3 BFG Edition. Normally, Nightmare difficulty (the hardest) is locked, requiring a playthrough on any difficulty to unlock it. However, it is possible to unlock Nightmare difficulty for any campaign from the get-go by feeding the game a specific command-line argument (namely "+set g_nightmare 1", "+set g_roeNightmare 1", and "+set g_leNightmare 1").

The original Doom 3 was like this as well. Presumably, they didn't want players jumping into the hardest difficulty, spoiling an plot-related item and having a bad time getting wasted over and over. Since I've played Doom 3 several times before, I wanted to jump straight into the deep end.

The game apparently still unlocks achievements normally. All four difficulty achievements unlock in one playthrough, rather than two.
113 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,491 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 11:17
Posted on 14 January 16 at 23:25
As long as it's all done from in-game, should be fine
Registered on 19 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)TrueSteamAchievement Site Rank: 567 out of 9,44283 posts
Last post: 08 Jun at 02:57
Posted on 15 January 16 at 07:41
Sorry, I misunderstood the question :-/
Posted on 05 February 16 at 02:07
Apologies for the delayed response, I somehow missed this thread completely.

Command line options are completely fine provided that no additional modding to game files is required to do so. As an example, it wouldn't be ok if you needed to add/delete/edit a different installed file or dll to enable the console.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.