Site News Forum

Forum to discuss TSA news items. Only TrueSteamAchievement can post here

An Introduction To The TrueSteam Scoring System

AuthorMessage
Spilner
2,054
Spilner
Registered on 20 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)8 completed games(Includes owned DLC)295 posts
Last post: 11 May 16 at 00:22
Posted on 25 December 15 at 14:40
Elyoh said:Duh, thanks Spilner. For some reason I couldn't find it before. Time to send some emails.Its a tab in the 'My Friends' menu
Its that guy from the thing in the place.
Zorlac
38,829
Zorlac
38,829 TrueSteamAchievement Points8 posts
Last post: 03 Feb 16 at 17:18
Posted on 26 December 15 at 09:48
deutschZuid said:Still wanting the real score in parentheses next to the TSA score.There is no real score was part of the point of this. Steam doesn't give achievement score.
dfgarcia
423,999
dfgarcia
423,999 TrueSteamAchievement Points19 posts
Last post: 15 Jan at 08:16
Posted on 27 December 15 at 09:49, Edited on 27 December 15 at 16:24 by dfgarcia
"the higher it's True value should be."

Should be "its".
Rudey
66,410
Rudey
66,410 TrueSteamAchievement Points24 posts
Last post: 30 Dec 16 at 08:38
Posted on 31 December 15 at 17:47
But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?
TrueSteam
7,038
TrueSteam
7,038 TrueSteamAchievement Points276 posts
Last post: 27 Jun at 08:11
Posted on 31 December 15 at 19:53
Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without it
Rudey
66,410
Rudey
66,410 TrueSteamAchievement Points24 posts
Last post: 30 Dec 16 at 08:38
Posted on 01 January 16 at 23:35
TrueSteam said:Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without itAlright, thanks for the answer. I've got another question... how do you guys count gamers? Do gamers who play the game but haven't earned any achievement count? And do gamers that own the game but never even played it for a single minute count too? I guess it would work best for the algorithm to only count those who have earned at least one achievement, what's your opinion on that?

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 02 January 16 at 09:39
Rudey said:TrueSteam said:Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without itAlright, thanks for the answer. I've got another question... how do you guys count gamers? Do gamers who play the game but haven't earned any achievement count? And do gamers that own the game but never even played it for a single minute count too? I guess it would work best for the algorithm to only count those who have earned at least one achievement, what's your opinion on that?Speaking from what I saw on my own tag, gamers who played the game are counted regardless of achievements earned. With TT and TA it was only after your first trophy/achievement but then again actual played games were harder to count on those (and you could delete the empty trophy/achievement lists from your history).

I think this is the best option. Even if you haven't obtained an achievement, you did actually play the game. This helps a lot with one-achievement games. Gamers who have the game but not played it should indeed not be counted.
STAR WARS!
Rudey
66,410
Rudey
66,410 TrueSteamAchievement Points24 posts
Last post: 30 Dec 16 at 08:38
Posted on 02 January 16 at 19:24
Billy_Horrible said:This helps a lot with one-achievement games.I forgot about these. Indeed it seems to be for the best to count gamers even without any achievement(s) earned. The only issue I see is games that initially had no achievements, but got them added in an update years after release. "NightSky" is an example of that. All of it's achievements are pretty "rare" on Steam, while they actually aren't that hard. It's just that a lot of players played the game before it had achievements. If only we could start counting the players from the moment achievements are implemented...

Another example of this is "VVVVVV". However, that game got updated with pretty hard achievements, so the rarity of the achievements seems accurate anyway.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 02 January 16 at 21:06
Rudey said:Billy_Horrible said:This helps a lot with one-achievement games.I forgot about these. Indeed it seems to be for the best to count gamers even without any achievement(s) earned. The only issue I see is games that initially had no achievements, but got them added in an update years after release. "NightSky" is an example of that. All of it's achievements are pretty "rare" on Steam, while they actually aren't that hard. It's just that a lot of players played the game before it had achievements. If only we could start counting the players from the moment achievements are implemented...

Another example of this is "VVVVVV". However, that game got updated with pretty hard achievements, so the rarity of the achievements seems accurate anyway.
In cases like this I guess the achievements should be put in a "title update" DLC pack, like TT and TA do with trophies/achievements added after a title update. Only weird thing would be that it's achievements in DLC when the original game has zero achievements but I guess this is just something specific to Steam that we should get accustomed to.
STAR WARS!
12345ieee
11,500
12345ieee
11,500 TrueSteamAchievement Points1 post
Last post: 06 Jan 16 at 20:20
Posted on 06 January 16 at 20:20, Edited on 06 January 16 at 20:20 by 12345ieee
This will be buried, but I'm pretty curious about the math.

Clearly you need an increasing function of the important value:
Total_players/Players_that_have_the_achievement

but why exactly the square root?
I'm curious about the idea behind it.
I mean, why not a 3rd root? Or a logarithm?
Spilner
2,054
Spilner
Registered on 20 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)8 completed games(Includes owned DLC)295 posts
Last post: 11 May 16 at 00:22
Posted on 06 January 16 at 20:37
TrueSteam said:Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without itRich already answered that one.

(Id guess square root since most people know what that means)
Its that guy from the thing in the place.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.