The Bargain Bin Forum

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Steam Holiday Sale Begins (not a news item, just a thread)

AuthorMessage

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 23 December 15 at 08:47, Edited on 23 December 15 at 09:25 by
I saw that the Holiday sale went online, there's so many games discounted... Not used to this as a console gamer shock

I decided to make a thread about it, so we can talk about the sale without waiting on a news item. A win-win since we don't have to wait and the staff has less pressure on them smile

I saw a bunch of games I like, at the very least I'm probably getting Papers Please and To the Moon. I also like the idea behind Her Story, might get that one as well. There's so many sales to choose from!

I also saw Portal and Portal 2 on sale. Portal 2 is one of my favourite games in the world and I already completed it a number of times, I may just get both again even if it's only to be able to play the free fan mods Portal Stories Mel and Rexaura. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my old laptop can't handle Portal 2.

If someone wants to see a full list (my head started spinning after scrolling too much in Steam itself), I found this site: https://steamdb.info/sales/

It's a list of alle Holiday discounts, they even show what the biggest discount ever recorded was (though no mention if that discount was on the same base price or a higher one).

Which games are discounted that you have been waiting for? Is there stuff in there that you've already played but would still recommend to others?
STAR WARS!
thirtysmooth
thirtysmooth
TrueSteamAchievements ModeratorRegistered on 10 November 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)346 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 21:58
Posted on 23 December 15 at 10:17
Don't forget that you can also earn 3 trading cards per day by exploring your Discovery Queue.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 23 December 15 at 10:19, Edited on 23 December 15 at 10:22 by
thirtysmooth said:Don't forget that you can also earn 3 trading cards per day by exploring your Discovery Queue. I actually literally just figured that out mere minutes ago while browsing through it, dunno if I saw that message yesterday when I went through the Queue.

What are trading cards for?

Edit: Also what are they and how can I see which I have because apparently I suck at browsing and can't find it anywhere.
STAR WARS!
MysticalShadow86
Achievement Completion Percentage: 28.82% (Includes owned DLC) - 13 more achievements required to reach 29%129 posts
Last post: 13 Oct at 13:53
Posted on 23 December 15 at 11:06
Billy_Horrible said:What are trading cards for?

Edit: Also what are they and how can I see which I have because apparently I suck at browsing and can't find it anywhere.
Trading cards are used to craft badges. Badges earn you XP (which increases your Steam level, allowing more friends on your friends list, more profile options such as Showcases (kinda like the achievement/trophy case on TA/TT.) Badges also earn you backgrounds for your profile, as well as emoticons for that game.

Trading cards will appear in your Steam inventory. You can view how close you are to badges by hovering over your username in the big text on the client and selecting badges.

For more info on trading cards - http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/
thirtysmooth
thirtysmooth
TrueSteamAchievements ModeratorRegistered on 10 November 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)346 posts
Posted on 23 December 15 at 11:07
Trading cards drop when you play games (at least 2 hours need to be played on each game before they drop). You can use them to level-up your Steam level (the higher the Steam level you are, the more unlocks you get). You can also trade these cards or sell them on the Marketplace.

Personally, I sell any I receive which contributes to my purchases, so it's a useful way of earning extra income, albeit a very small income.

You can find them in your Inventory, under the Steam tab.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 23 December 15 at 11:15
I searched my inventory but there's nothing in there, weird.

Being able to sell them (and add to your wallet) seems like the best thing for me, good to know.
STAR WARS!
thirtysmooth
thirtysmooth
Posted on 23 December 15 at 11:25
Billy_Horrible said:I searched my inventory but there's nothing in there, weird.It's not weird at all; you don't currently own any games that utilise the trading card system. Here's a full list of the games on Steam which carry trading cards:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=29

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 23 December 15 at 13:46, Edited on 23 December 15 at 14:00 by
thirtysmooth said:Billy_Horrible said:I searched my inventory but there's nothing in there, weird.It's not weird at all; you don't currently own any games that utilise the trading card system. Here's a full list of the games on Steam which carry trading cards:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=29
... but going through my que I got the message that I got three trading cards... So that's just waiting until I get one of those TC games and then I randomly get one from those games or something?

Anyway I see at least two games in there that I'm planning on buying.

I was planning on getting some Steam money in the game shop near me but the whole store was filled with a waiting line so I'll wait until monday I guess.

These titles from the sale are now in my cart:
To the Moon
Hook
Papers Please
Her Story
LYNE

Also, I'm thinking about buying Portal 2 - one of my favourite games ever - if only to get access to the mod Portal Stories Mel but I'm afraid my laptop isn't up to speed enough for that, it's probably too old. Does anyone here know anything about this sort of thing? I've got an Intel P6200 processor with 2.13GHz, and 4GB of RAM. I only have the internal video card, nothing extra.

... That by the way is also the reason I'll probably remain a PlayStation gamer, I'll play through Steam mostly just games that I can't get on consoles, and them mostly the retro stuff because that's what my laptop can handle laugh
STAR WARS!
Ergo Me Smart
31,296 TrueSteamAchievement Points7 posts
Last post: 15 Oct at 14:03
Posted on 23 December 15 at 14:46
It should be noted that you also have to have a 'Level 8' Steam profile in order to get the cards. If you hit that by the end of the sale, you'll get the cards you're owed from Steam.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 23 December 15 at 15:02
Ergo Me Smart said:It should be noted that you also have to have a 'Level 8' Steam profile in order to get the cards. If you hit that by the end of the sale, you'll get the cards you're owed from Steam.I just started my account so probably not going to happen then.
STAR WARS!
Veilor
Veilor
TrueSteamAchievements Game Info Manager83 comments640 posts
Last post: 27 Nov at 16:19
Posted on 23 December 15 at 20:50, Edited on 23 December 15 at 20:51 by Veilor
I'd say the easiest way to earn your first experience is doing the steam badge which has you doing a bunch of stuff around steam
MysticalShadow86
Achievement Completion Percentage: 28.82% (Includes owned DLC) - 13 more achievements required to reach 29%129 posts
Last post: 13 Oct at 13:53
Posted on 23 December 15 at 21:44
Veilor said:I'd say the easiest way to earn your first experience is doing the steam badge which has you doing a bunch of stuff around steamThat would be Community Leader (final level) which nets you 500 XP (final level)

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 23 December 15 at 22:38
Shall I rename this thread "levelling and trading cards" then? I thought the sale was pretty interesting, maybe that's just because I never played on Steam before.
STAR WARS!
Elyoh
Elyoh
3,171 TrueSteamAchievement Points6 posts
Last post: 25 Dec 15 at 02:48
Posted on 23 December 15 at 23:12
Just another normal Steam winter/summer sale laugh

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 24 December 15 at 06:58
Elyoh said:Just another normal Steam winter/summer sale laughWell it's special to me... cry

On my original topic, I've added to my cart so the list I'm buying is now this:

To the Moon
Hook
Micron
LYNE
Unium
The Silent Age
Papers Please
Her Story
STAR WARS!
Elyoh
Elyoh
3,171 TrueSteamAchievement Points6 posts
Last post: 25 Dec 15 at 02:48
Posted on 24 December 15 at 22:15
Billy_Horrible said:Elyoh said:Just another normal Steam winter/summer sale laughWell it's special to me... cry

laugh The first one is always amazing. If you're smart about it, you only buy your games during these times.

I'm probably going to get Rise of Nations, been waiting for that to go on a good special for a while. Probably get the 4-pack seeing as it's cheaper than the original 1 pack laugh

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 25 December 15 at 00:52
Elyoh said:Billy_Horrible said:Elyoh said:Just another normal Steam winter/summer sale laughWell it's special to me... cry
laugh The first one is always amazing. If you're smart about it, you only buy your games during these times.

I'm probably going to get Rise of Nations, been waiting for that to go on a good special for a while. Probably get the 4-pack seeing as it's cheaper than the original 1 pack laugh

Yeah, I still remember the first time I saw a US Flash sale on PlayStation. Going to soak in this Steam Holiday Sale before I go back to being jaded and cynical again. Brave new world!

Never heard of Rise Of Nations though before I buy out my cart I'll check the page to see if it could be something for me.
STAR WARS!

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 29 December 15 at 22:50
I bought a bunch of games, got a few euros left. Anyone want to recommend anything, going by what I've bought already? I'm mostly into platformers, point&clicks and puzzle games.
STAR WARS!
Veilor
Veilor
TrueSteamAchievements Game Info Manager83 comments640 posts
Last post: 27 Nov at 16:19
Posted on 30 December 15 at 12:07, Edited on 30 December 15 at 12:08 by Veilor
http://store.steampowered.com/app/244870/ - Electronic Super Joy
http://store.steampowered.com/app/327260/ - Life of Pixel , a nice nod to old video game consoles. Game ugrades its graphics to the same console through progression, ends with snes.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 01 January 16 at 12:47, Edited on 01 January 16 at 13:11 by
I checked them out and they seem cool, though ESJ is probaby a bit too extremely difficult for my taste. Put ESJ on the 'maybe' pile and LoP on the 'very likely' pile, thanks for the tip.
STAR WARS!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.