The Bargain Bin Forum

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

What good games are out there for little money?

AuthorMessage

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 22 December 15 at 10:27
Seeing as we don't have a general game discussion forum yet, I'm posting here in the Bargain Bin, which should do for now (I am talking about cheap games after all). If a general game discussion forum is created, any site staff seeing this thread can feel free to put this thread over there.

I'm new to Steam, I actually created an account only when TrueSteamAchievements was made. So I don't really know what kind of new world has opened up to me. I decided I should keep track of a list of free/cheap deals, not only for myself but for others down the line as well.

Know a free or cheap game people really should play? Post it here and I'll add it to the list. For the sake of keeping the list short, I'll only write down the titles in this main post. Want to know who recommended it and why? Look for the post in this thread.

Since this is an achievement site, naturally most people will want to know about games with achievements. However, if you know a good game without achievements, feel free to mention it.

Free games:
The Plan Achievements
Teslagrad Demo Achievements
Viridi Achievements

Cheap games:
STAR WARS!

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 22 December 15 at 10:33
I'm going to recommend three free games myself as well. At the moment of writing this, these are the only three games on Steam which I've already played.

The Plan Achievements
More of an experiment, this game is over in a few minutes. The one obtainable achievement can be gotten after you finish the game once by clicking on the credits below the main menu. I enjoyed it, it really only takes a few minutes but it's nice enough to feel like there should be a full game like this.

Teslagrad Demo Achievements
I played the complete version on PS4 and enjoyed it a lot, realising Demos can have achievements on Steam I tried this one again. Still a fun game, makes me want to replay the whole thing all over again.

Viridi Achievements
This game will take you months to 100%, though you don't have to be in the game for months, a few minutes per week will do. It's a simple relaxing game where all you have to do is grow plants. You can come back once every two-three days, check if any plants need water, and be done with it again.
STAR WARS!
MysticalShadow86
Achievement Completion Percentage: 28.82% (Includes owned DLC) - 13 more achievements required to reach 29%129 posts
Last post: 13 Oct at 13:53
Posted on 22 December 15 at 11:00
I'd have a look in the the Deals worth mentioning thread (not just Steam games listed in there) also a big freebie thread, all steam all with achievements List Of Free Content (Games) .

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 22 December 15 at 11:09, Edited on 22 December 15 at 11:11 by
MysticalShadow86 said:I'd have a look in the the Deals worth mentioning thread (not just Steam games listed in there) also a big freebie thread, all steam all with achievements List Of Free Content (Games) .Thanks for the links, will definitely check them out. For this thread I'm not looking for deals though (just games that are cheap in general without sales), nor a complete list of free games. I'm only looking for games which other people enjoyed enough to recommend. A lot of those free games seem to be pretty bad.
STAR WARS!
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
TrueSteamAchievement Ratio: 1.6800Achievement Completion Percentage: 38.56% (Includes owned DLC) - 12 more achievements required to reach 39%277 posts
Last post: 25 Nov at 18:27
Posted on 22 December 15 at 23:17, Edited on 22 December 15 at 23:24 by JMJimmy
That's so subjective though without giving more detail of what you like. As an example I love Tower Defense games but not ones like Royal Defense which only allow you to place towers in specific locations or free-to-pay-more titles like Prime World Defenders (which is a good game if it wasn't for the pay to win stuff)

For general interest stuff, the easiest way is to go to Full Games List and sort by rating/filter by genres you like. The statistics are a little wonky due to it being the early days of the site but you can get a general idea once there are enough votes for a given title.

Edit: I should clarify 'wonky'

Saw as an example, is 5 stars but only 1 vote. Once it gets a statistically meaningful number of votes it will change as you can see by the identical game on TA: TrueAchievements Basically, anything with 15 or fewer votes, take with a grain of salt.
Life, it's funny that way.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 22 December 15 at 23:55
I should reiterate: I'm not looking for a list for myself, I'm looking to make a list that any new Steamer can open and find some games in to his liking. If you enjoyed a cheap game, just say which and why and let others decide whether or not they like the genre.

There's so damn many games on there, I'm just looking to make a "TrueSteamers Advise You Play These" list to narrow things down.

As for myself if you want to know, I'm mostly a console gamer so my old laptop is not up to speed, I doubt I can even run Portal 2. So with Steam I'm probably looking for 2D games. In that subset I like platformers, point and click games, text games and relaxi-games and I'm willing to give interactive novels and choose your own adventures a try.
STAR WARS!
speedygamers901
Registered on 08 December 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)171 solutions76 posts
Last post: 28 Jan at 02:00
Posted on 23 December 15 at 00:19
If you like tower defense games BTD5 is a good one for $9.99
Just for the achievements!
mrbellek
mrbellek
11,847 TrueSteamAchievement Points9 posts
Last post: 16 Feb at 08:01
Posted on 06 January 16 at 15:50, Edited on 06 January 16 at 15:52 by mrbellek
I clicked around on the Steam Store and you can browse all games with the tag 'Steam Achievements' and sort by lowest price for all the free games with achievements:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=22#sort_by=P...

The first ~13 pages of games are free, though some games are not released yet. Here's the first page of games:

SMITE - MOBA
SMITE Achievements
Path of Exile - RPG
Path of Exile Achievements
Mechwarrior Online - Multiplayer -
MechWarrior Online™
Clicker Heroes - idle clicker
Clicker Heroes Achievements
Realm of the Mad God - MMO
Realm of the Mad God Achievements
Unturned - Zombie multiplayer Unturned Achievements
Transformice - MMO
Transformice Achievements
VEGA Conflict - MMO strategy
VEGA Conflict
Adventure Capitalist - idle clicker
AdVenture Capitalist Achievements
Dungeon Defenders II - tower defense
Dungeon Defenders II Achievements
DC Universe Oline - action
DC Universe Online Achievements
Spiral Knights - MMORPG
Spiral Knights Achievements
Star Conflict - space multiplayer
Star Conflict Achievements
Card Hunter - cards
Card Hunter Achievements
Warface - FPS
Warface Achievements
My Lands: Black Gem Hunting - MMO RTS
My Lands Achievements
Might & Magic: Duel of Champions - card game
Might Magic Duels of Champions Achievements
Crusaders of the Lost Idols - idle clicker
Crusaders of the Lost Idols Achievements
Alien Swarm - co-op
Alien Swarm Achievements
Puzzle Pirates - MMO puzzle
Puzzle Pirates Achievements
World of Guns: Gun Dissasembly - education
World of Guns Gun Disassembly Achievements
AirMech - strategy
AirMech Achievements

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 07 January 16 at 16:45
Once again: Not just looking for cheap/free games, but looking for cheap/free games that you tried out yourself and enjoyed.
STAR WARS!
Yazz
Yazz
Registered on 16 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)44 posts
Last post: 09 Jul at 10:12
Posted on 07 January 16 at 18:31, Edited on 07 January 16 at 18:37 by Yazz
The first Portal game is a must play. Relatively cheap and down right amazing. It also runs on a potato. The achievements are much easier than the console version thanks to exploits (portal bumping).

One of my favorite 2D games on Steam is "To The Moon". I can't express how amazing this tiny game was. Highly recommend that one.

Papers, Please is another great one. Very fun and engaging gameplay.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 07 January 16 at 19:25
I have bought Papers, Please in the sale, so far it's amazing.

Have been thinking about To The Moon, I'm not into that kind of genre usually but I just might give it a go.

Portal: Love it, have played it a whole bunch of times already. Might just pick it up again. I know it ran on my previous laptop, only
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
gave my laptop any trouble.
STAR WARS!
Yazz
Yazz
Registered on 16 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)44 posts
Last post: 09 Jul at 10:12
Posted on 08 January 16 at 10:05, Edited on 08 January 16 at 10:05 by Yazz
The Binding of Isaac is a good one too. The first one I mean. It runs a Flash engine, so the explosions in the game might cause a second or two of frame rate drop on a weaker machine, but other than that it runs on a toaster. smile
SilentJay1976
Achievement Completion Percentage: 66.21% (Includes owned DLC)13 posts
Last post: 09 Aug at 12:36
Posted on 08 January 16 at 11:52
A list of personal recommendations is just going to be a random list.

Just go to the Steam store page, scroll down to "Specials" (right side), click on "See more", sort by lowest price, and hover over the ratings icon (thumbs up.) Anything with 80%+ ("very positive") should be worth checking out. There's usually so many games available that you can pick and choose whatever tickles your fancy.
mrbellek
mrbellek
11,847 TrueSteamAchievement Points9 posts
Last post: 16 Feb at 08:01
Posted on 18 January 16 at 08:48
Billy_Horrible said:Once again: Not just looking for cheap/free games, but looking for cheap/free games that you tried out yourself and enjoyed.Sorry, got carried away making a list for myself and thought I'd share. FWIW, I only listed the ones with 'very positive' rating.
Moon
Moon
TrueSteamAchievements ModeratorTrueSteamAchievement Site Rank: 1,486 out of 10,093113 posts
Last post: 13 Aug at 21:28
Posted on 19 January 16 at 14:30
Uh oh....I can see this thread getting expensive! shock

It's always worth having a browse on these budget sites:

Bundle Stars
https://www.bundlestars.com/

Indie Gala
https://www.indiegala.com/

You can browse through each game individually (or look at the bundles) and they always have a button to take you through to the Steam page so you can see the reviews and detailed information on the games. I've picked up loads of good stuff on there. The deals do change so keep an eye on it often.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.