Site Wishlist Archive

Site Wishlist Archive

Steam Friends = Steam Achievements Friends

• Implemented
  • FearItselfFearItself19,616
    Posted on 03 November 15 at 13:27
    Don't know if it's possible to implement or if there're any philosophical problems with it. But it'd be cool, if a person could automatically become your "friend" on this site, if he was your friend on Steam already. Given that this person has registered on this site, of course.

1. Is it doable?
    2. Is there a reason to not implement this?
  • Posted on 04 November 15 at 00:10
    Any idea what is picked up in the API? I honestly have no real idea of what API is other than 'scanner stuff' laugh
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,921
    Posted on 04 November 15 at 00:19
    munchmagic1986 said:Any idea what is picked up in the API? I honestly have no real idea of what API is other than 'scanner stuff' laughActually I was mistaken, my apologies. Friends lists are partially obtainable... as long as your friends have fully public profiles they can be picked up by the API... if they have their profile set to private or friends only they won't show up.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Web_API
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • JackJack7,896
    Posted on 17 November 15 at 12:21
    We can pick friends up and we will be doing something with this data in the near future. wink

I've moved this to the Site Wishlist Forum board instead.
  • DakotaThriceDakotaThrice399,723
    Posted on 19 November 15 at 10:50
    JMJimmy said:munchmagic1986 said:Any idea what is picked up in the API? I honestly have no real idea of what API is other than 'scanner stuff' laughActually I was mistaken, my apologies. Friends lists are partially obtainable... as long as your friends have fully public profiles they can be picked up by the API... if they have their profile set to private or friends only they won't show up.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Web_API
    I'm petty sure it can detect your full friend list regardless of profile privacy. astats is showing all 39 of my friends and actually states which are friends only. Don't have any friends with private profiles to check how it handles those though.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 19 November 15 at 11:52, Edited on 19 November 15 at 11:53 by
    Stupidly Steam lets you customise your privacy settings of everything but your friends list, it's either visible to everyone, or nobody.

Astats bugs out with "Member only" and "Private" accounts (The prior isn't an option on steam anymore for some gaben forsake reason.) It puts the profile image in the ranking and doesn't load any info below that person
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,921
    Posted on 19 November 15 at 12:53, Edited on 19 November 15 at 12:55 by JMJimmy
    DakotaThrice said:I'm petty sure it can detect your full friend list regardless of profile privacy. astats is showing all 39 of my friends and actually states which are friends only. Don't have any friends with private profiles to check how it handles those though.From the page I linked:

GetFriendList (v0001)

Returns the friend list of any Steam user, provided his Steam Community profile visibility is set to "Public".
    Result data

The user's friends list, as an array of friends. Nothing will be returned if the profile is private.
    So at most you could get a username but not their actual achievement data to add to the site.
  • DakotaThriceDakotaThrice399,723
    Posted on 19 November 15 at 18:03
    OP was suggesting adding them which would be possible. People could always sign up to the site whilst keeping a private profile and TA (at least at one point) allowed for limited scans of non-members so its not an entirely unfeasible idea.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,921
    Posted on 19 November 15 at 18:36
    DakotaThrice said:OP was suggesting adding them which would be possible. People could always sign up to the site whilst keeping a private profile and TA (at least at one point) allowed for limited scans of non-members so its not an entirely unfeasible idea.Definitely not unfeasible, it's just a question of how many resources do you dedicate to people who are not even using the site?
  • Posted on 12 January 17 at 12:13
    This has been implemented and can be found here.
    TSA Social Manager | @DaveKinetic | DaveKinetic on YouTube
  • Information
    Posted on 12 January 17 at 12:13
    This post was archived by DaveKinetic

1 up vote (100%)
    0 down votes (0%)
  • FearItselfFearItself19,616
    Posted on 29 October 17 at 14:52, Edited on 29 October 17 at 14:54 by FearItself
    Finally.

Well, none of my 100+ friends are here anyway. Is this site dead or what? smile
  • NomstuffNomstuff67,667
    Posted on 30 October 17 at 00:33
    Invite them then!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads