Investigations Questions Forum

Question for the Investigations Team? Please remember to keep posts civil, abusive posts can result in loss of posting privileges. Posts in this forum can be read by anyone on the site. Please do not attempt to hijack a thread by posting information not relevant to the original post, start a new thread instead.

Measures against SAM!!

AuthorMessage
Posted on 04 December 15 at 10:36
Saintrussianboy said:Would a mod that doubled XP in a single-player RPG be banned?Honestly? It's unlikely but not impossible. With that said, if the mod suddenly unlocked all level-based achievements impossibly at the same time... Well, that would be a different scenario entirely and you would receive a message from the team pretty quickly.

We do have a range of filters and checks to distinguish patterns of cheating but I will not be disclosing how they work - as much as I would like to be transparent about how we track abuses of the achievement system, it runs the risk of people gaming the system I'm afraid.

As a side note, I would also like to thank everyone who has submitted reports already. The community vigilance is appreciated and reports are always followed up our side.
dfgarcia
dfgarcia
213,903 TrueSteamAchievement Points16 posts
Last post: 30 Aug at 14:30
Posted on 27 December 15 at 17:56
Xeinok said:There are many ways to both automatically catch cheaters and to police more subtle cheating. We should look to AStats and Metagamerscore's histories to learn the proper way to do so here.Hear, hear.
Yazz
Yazz
Registered on 16 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)44 posts
Last post: 09 Jul at 10:12
Posted on 31 December 15 at 12:00, Edited on 01 January 16 at 09:16 by thirtysmooth
ryanbeck117 said:Deleted commentGo on their profile, then on the gamer drop down bar, select report gamer.
Spilner
Spilner
Registered on 20 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)8 completed games(Includes owned DLC)295 posts
Last post: 11 May at 00:22
Posted on 31 December 15 at 12:22
Just an FYI, theres a no callout policy on the site or there would be had anyone updated the page on here laugh
Its that guy from the thing in the place.
WraithTDK
WraithTDK
2 completed games(Includes owned DLC)59 posts
Last post: 10 Jul at 00:05
Posted on 31 December 15 at 16:34
There's also no one here by that name, from what I can tell...
shockedfrog
shockedfrog
77,685 TrueSteamAchievement Points3 posts
Last post: 06 Jan at 07:17
Posted on 04 January 16 at 12:39, Edited on 04 January 16 at 12:40 by shockedfrog
There are going to be some users like myself who appreciate being able to mod/cheat in games where we see fit (something which was rarely an issue prior to the introduction of achievements), but who also enjoy some aspects of achievements and playing games the modern boring brainwashed way. :P

I feel the best thing to do is to allow users to opt out of being part of the site's main competitive group - players who opt out would not affect stats on achievements, and would not appear in areas such as the site leaderboard, but they'd still be able to enjoy other features (ie. seeing their own achievement stats and comparing them to friends, contributing to guides where appropriate) in a way that doesn't harm the more typical user. Users who deliberately cheat to screw up stats/get on the leaderboard should still be warned and punished as appropriate, but I think giving users the option to opt out would help to create a community that welcomes all gamers. For years the poor management of achievements has caused a rift between different kinds of gamers, and I'd like to see TSA step up where Astats has failed and try to bridge that gap.
Yazz
Yazz
Registered on 16 October 2015 (Year 0 - TrueSteamAchievements Beta Tester)44 posts
Last post: 09 Jul at 10:12
Posted on 05 January 16 at 09:57, Edited on 05 January 16 at 10:02 by Yazz
shockedfrog said:There are going to be some users like myself who appreciate being able to mod/cheat in games where we see fit (something which was rarely an issue prior to the introduction of achievements), but who also enjoy some aspects of achievements and playing games the modern boring brainwashed way. :P

I feel the best thing to do is to allow users to opt out of being part of the site's main competitive group - players who opt out would not affect stats on achievements, and would not appear in areas such as the site leaderboard, but they'd still be able to enjoy other features (ie. seeing their own achievement stats and comparing them to friends, contributing to guides where appropriate) in a way that doesn't harm the more typical user. Users who deliberately cheat to screw up stats/get on the leaderboard should still be warned and punished as appropriate, but I think giving users the option to opt out would help to create a community that welcomes all gamers. For years the poor management of achievements has caused a rift between different kinds of gamers, and I'd like to see TSA step up where Astats has failed and try to bridge that gap.
There's a system much like that on TrueAchievements. Players who cheat will be excluded from site leaderboards and will have limited tracking features. I'm sure something similar will be implemented here.

Edit: Cheat Policy
shockedfrog
shockedfrog
77,685 TrueSteamAchievement Points3 posts
Last post: 06 Jan at 07:17
Posted on 06 January 16 at 07:17
Ah, nice to see it's already in place and that the rules seem generally well thought out. I'd still prefer to see the option to choose a Non-Stat account without admin intervention, but at least it's an option at all. :)
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
113 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,502 posts
Last post: 20 Nov at 17:16
Posted on 06 January 16 at 17:27
an opt-out would be a cool feature
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
TrueSteamAchievement Ratio: 1.6798Achievement Completion Percentage: 38.56% (Includes owned DLC) - 12 more achievements required to reach 39%277 posts
Last post: 25 Nov at 18:27
Posted on 06 January 16 at 18:40
shockedfrog said:Ah, nice to see it's already in place and that the rules seem generally well thought out. I'd still prefer to see the option to choose a Non-Stat account without admin intervention, but at least it's an option at all. :)A quick message to request it is all that's required. Nothing too onerous.
Life, it's funny that way.
Posted on 14 January 16 at 06:00
If any user is serious about this request, please send me a private message.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.